Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Mmmm- Fudge

I really wanted something sweet this weekend, and also wanted to make something. The trouble was most of my ol' standbys were off limits due to Passover. Anything with flour was a no go.

I was rummaging around my kitchen, looking for something to make, and my eyes caught upon the nearly new container of peanut butter.

I glanced up to the powdered sugar jar and saw that it was 1/4 full. I spent several minutes analyzing how much powdered sugar was really in that container. The recipe calls for 1 pound- or one bag.

I finally decided that I probably had 3/4 of a pound.

Of course, that makes for all kinds of interesting math, doesn't it?

Needless to say, I guesstimated all my measurements.

Turned out just fine. Actually, I think I like it better- I believe I ended up with a dryer mix than normal, so I must have shorted the liquid ingredients a touch. The result is a little less sticky and less likely to go to mush if left out on the counter for a while.

I brought the results to work today (pardon the photography- this is a *gasp* cell phone shot done at the last minute when I realized I'd want to share the recipe with you).
This recipe is easy- no cooking required.
Little kids like this one (at least, I recall liking it) because you can/should mix it with your hands. And, if you're a student and ever need to do a presentation on how to do something- you will always get an A if you do your presentation on how to make this fudge. Who doesn't love fudge? (Ok, I'm thinking here that nowadays with the allergy rate to peanuts increasing, probably I'd go with the chocolate version which of course I don't have on hand). My brothers and I always got As on our "How to do ___" speeches in school.

Here's the info:
Mix by hand
1/4 C softened or melted butter (I like melted, but if you're doing this for a presentation, softened is fine)
3/4 C peanut butter- creamy or chunky
1/2 C corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Lb (or one bag) powdered sugar

Once it's all mixed up, pull out a pie pan or other dish and flatten the fudge into the bottom so that it will be 1/2 inch or so thick. Chill. Cut into 4 quarters. Cut one quarter into small cubes. Eat those cubes over the course of the day. The next day, cut the rest in to cubes and bring into work.

I suggest getting the fudge out of the house as quickly as possible. Fortunately for me, after I'd stuffed myself hyper sampled a quarter few pieces, E and I made a special trip to the grocery store for healthy snacks like grapes.
And stuffed olives.
And because I was still wanting peanut butter, celery sticks to spread peanut butter on.
I figure the handful of grapes, and later the couple of olives, cancel out the fudge.
The chocolate ice cream pop I had after dinner though, that didn't quite get canceled out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think: