Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy's girl

I am a daddy's girl. Don't get me wrong, I think my mom is awesome, and if I can be half the mom she is I will be happy.

Still, my dad is my hero. He might not be my biological father, but he was the one who changed my diapers, held me when I cried, and danced with me standing on his toes. He interviewed prospective boy friends (and threatened them accordingly). He gave me away at my wedding. When someone asks my dad's name, I always give his.

Through his stories he taught us honor, loyalty, and diligence. He taught us about treating others well, while at the same time standing up for yourself. He never allowed us to fall into pitty parties (I remember when I was crying over SAT scores points too low to get the scholarship I needed, he came in and said, well, there's no point crying over it. Get back to the books and try harder. Which I did. And got the scores I needed). His love is different- he teases and jokes and tells outrageous lies (your eyes are brown because you're full of sh*t). Once, when my older brother told me I was adopted, I went crying to dad. He picked me up and sat me on his knee and said, "you know, a lot of daddies don't get to pick who their little girls are. I did. And I paid a lot of G*d D**n money for you too!" The rough edges of this Marine made his truths truer.

He's not perfect. And our family has by no means been the most peaceful smoothly operating family in all America. But I don't think I could ask for a better dad.

Happy Father's day, dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think: