Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What is it with cravings?

Cravings are an expected part of pregnancy. I get that.

But there is nothing quite as annoying as constantly craving what you cannot have. Case in point, I would love love LOVE a Waffle House waffle. I found recipes online that claim the same results, but it's not about making a close second. I want the real thing. I've already tried making other things I craved with disappointment the result. E keeps saying it sounds like a great road trip but I can't see driving to...what, North Carolina?, to the nearest Waffle House.

I wanted cherry cobbler for several weeks before I went looking for ingredients-which shockingly enough, I didn't find. I didn't shop around mind you, but all I could find was lite (bleh) canned cherries in a brand I am not familiar with and I wanted to use the kind I knew I would like. I ended up getting a frozen pie. And disciplined myself to not eat that all at once. It wasn't exactly what I craved, but at least I'm not fantasizing about cobbler anymore.

I am dreaming about home fries like my mom makes. Lots of places make home fries, but no one makes them like my mom. Even I don't feel like I can duplicate her magic, and it's not like I don't know how to make them.

There is a place out on the beach called Bird On A Roof that has these super thin, super delicious pancakes- I always get mine with blueberries. Believe me when I say I have tried to replicate these seasonal delights to no avail.

Some people like to say these pregnancy cravings are a sign that your body is lacking something (crave dirt, need iron; crave oj, need vitamin c). I think it's just another way pregnancy messes with you. So much time has been spent fighting nausea, that when there is something that I can eat and want to eat, it would be nice to fill that craving.

Ah well, only 3 or so more weeks of first trimester. Things got better quickly with my first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think: