Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Now that's better

Every year we have two nights of Passover Seder. E and I have taken to hosting the second night and believe me when I say I have it down to a science.

One thing I don't look forward to, at least I didn't until this year, is reading the traditional readings. But this year I found www.diyseder.com (this site is no longer active- 3-25-13) and let me tell you! I really enjoyed myself. I printed out copies from the net- the site lets you tailor what is read to some extent.
So I included some current event connections, some coloring page illustrations for Ranger, some foodie info, and best of all- corny jokes. Like this one about the four children:

The Four Children

There are four types of children who ask questions on Pesach: the wise one, the bad one, the simple one, and the one who does not know to ask.

What does the wise one ask? I don’t know. I couldn’t understand him either. Him you must send to a school for gifted children.

What does the bad one ask? He says, “What is this holiday to you?” Because he excludes himself from the community, you must exclude him from your table, and he will go back to his employer and get paid double-time and a half for working on Pesach.

What does the simple one ask? He simply asks, “What is this?” You will say to him, “This is dinner.”

As for the one who does not know to ask, you must go to his room, wake him up and say, “Next year, remember to come to the table!”


And:

Exodus Humor

A little boy once returned home from Hebrew school and his father asked, “What did you learn today?”

He answered, “The rabbi told us how Moses led the children of Israel out of Egypt.”

“How?”

The boy said, “Moses was a big strong man and he beat the Pharaoh up. Then while the Pharaoh was down, Moses got all the people together and ran toward the sea. Then when he got there, he had the Corps of Engineers build a huge pontoon bridge. Once they got on the other side, they blew up the bridge while the Egyptians were trying to cross.”

The father was shocked. “Is that what the rabbi taught you?”

The boy replied, “No. But you’d never believe the story he did tell us!”



I can't wait til Ranger is old enough to guffaw over these types of jokes!
Best of all, the readings sparked conversations that were fun, and there was even singing!

I can't think of anything I would have asked to work out better for our hosting, and clean up wasn't too bad either (though the Catholic side of me wants to feel guilty for using disposable plates and table wear and so close to Earth Day!)

I'm ready for May now. I'll just sit back, put my feet up, read a book, maybe get a nice glass of sweet tea, and wait for the month to roll by. Then I'll wake up from that daydream and help clean the accident in the tub, the hairball in the hall, and the remains of our dinner, while E gets Ranger ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think: