Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What was and what is

I remember the very first time I rode the subway. My (then future) brother in law was showing me around the city in advance of the wedding. After showing me around Manhattan, he took me on the subway to see Brooklyn. Even though it was rush hour, my brother in law found me a seat and stood in front of me so no one would crowd me. He is such a great guy. I remember I was so nervous- afraid really, that my legs literally shook.

The thing is, I don't remember at all WHY I was afraid. I really cannot recall what made me so nervous.

We all come to the city with preconceived notions, and I was perhaps influenced by the rough, gritty, crime ridden images that came from the 70's. But I should have been able to see clearly that, at least where we were, was nothing like those images.

What reminded me of this was a tweet from one of the NYC twitter accounts I follow:

EverythingNYC (@EverythingNYC)
In Pictures: What The New York City Subway Was Like In 1973 http://read.bi/reAyDA

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think: