Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Driving a double stroller

Yes, I "drive" the SUV of strollers- the double stroller.

I picked an in-line style rather than side by side, hoping it would be easier to manage. But I think both styles are probably just hard in different ways.

My stroller is elongated. With the carseat in the top position, I can't see the leading edge of the stroller, or my son's feet if he let's them stick out.

Believe me when I say I spend a lot of effort keeping the front of my stroller away from other people's space.

The stroller also has a wider back stance- so I also have to mind the rear wheels proximity to doors and toes.

Added to the need to have über situational awareness with regard to spacial orientation, there's the sheer heaviness of the set up. It is not easy to push this sucker. And trust me, don't try it one handed (no umbrella for me!).

Curbs, bumps, dips and uneven surfaces are a pain to navigate. Tight spaces (abundant in the city) are rather stressful. I have many a time skipped my beloved chai latte because getting in and out of the store can be hard. I have gone the long way around to avoid crowds so as to not be "that mom blocking the sidewalk" or whatever.

But I do live here. I have as much right as anyone to traverse the city. Believe me, if I am getting on the subway it is because I have to. I am not doing it to irk you. If I can wait for an empty train to come I will, but while waiting five minutes is no problem, waiting ten or more is...we are talking about traveling with an infant and a toddler. The ultimate scream bombs waiting to be set off.

So if you notice me getting on the train, and see you might be in danger of having a wheel bump your toe, or my son's foot (which remember I can't see) touch your leg, maybe consider how much easier it is for you to move slightly one way or another to avoid us. You might consider that I really am doing my best to be considerate. You need not snap at us or be rude. I don't feel like I am asking for special consideration beyond some understanding.

And know what? Mostly that's what we get. People are usually very helpful and friendly. They hold the doors, make room (get out of the way of the stroller), offer seats, and make faces at my son. I guess today I felt like I ran into one too many cranky straphangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think: